We have some important news.
Over 25 years ago Poetry SlamMN! started at Kieran’s Irish Pub. Open mics started happening each non-slam week. Through the last 10 years, the addition of Story SlamMN!, the Encyclopedia Show, The Not-So-Silent Planet and other shows, have found their homes there. In 2002, Kieran’s was one of the main hosts to the National Poetry Slam. In 2013 Kieran’s was the main venue for the Women of the World Poetry Slam. The Annual Erotica Valentine’s Day Slam became a 3 Day long Poetry Tournament that poets flew in from around the country to compete in. When Kieran’s moved from the old location to their current home, they built a room called the Poet’s Corner, just for us.
After all these years, we have received the very sad news that Kieran’s will be hosting us for our last shows there this spring. Through the years they have donated hundreds of evenings and thousands of hours to the arts, and we will forever be grateful for that.
Running open and uncensored stages is hard, and often unglamorous. It’s also imperative for the growth of humanity and building shared understanding in both good and bad times. Through the countless nights staring at small stages, we have become better people. We’ve watched engagements. We’ve listened to stories of heartbreak. We’ve heard so many really dirty haikus. We’ve watched performer FLOP on stage, to later become published authors, famous rappers, and professional performers. Without the space to start, fail, practice, and succeed, many amazing artists would not exist today. For that opportunity, we are thankful.
Word Sprout and it’s shows are unsure of our future at this time. For now we invite you to come celebrate our years with Kieran’s. Come say hello and good-bye if you’ve been gone for awhile.
- The last SlamMN! Valentine’s Day Erotica Poetry tournament at Kieran’s will be happening Feb. 14th and 15th.
- Poetry SlamMN! will have two final open nights of poetry for those of you that wish to slam again on March 26th and April 23rd.
- Story SlamMN! Will have two final open nights to enter storytelling on Feb 5th and March 5th. Semi-Finals will be May 7th and Finals will be May 14th.
- The Not-So-Silent Planet Speculative Fiction Night will happen two more time on Feb 19th and March 19th
- Get your fill of fact based art of the next few months. The Encyclopedia Show will have a going away show on May 19th (you can also drop in on their regular nights each month until then)
- We will have a curated good-bye SlamMN! Celebration Show on June 4th. Mark your calendar to celebrate the last 25 years!
For the love of words,